The Certification Process in Detail
1. Choose a Certification for your Market
2. Choose a Certification Body
Choose a certification body (CB) and sign a contract with them.
3. Register with ISCC
- Register with ISCC by filling in the registration form.
ISCC checks each submitted registration and contacts the applicant in case further information is required. The process might take a few days until the registration can be confirmed and the registration number is provided. We recommend to register with ISCC as soon as possible after signing the contract with the certification body.
4. Get Audited by your Certification Body and Receive your ISCC Certificate
4.1 Internal Audit: Prepare the Audit Within Your Company
- Set up an audit team.
- Identify missing information.
- Complement missing information.
- Conduct an internal audit.
Please note: Become familiar with the ISCC requirements to be prepared for the audit. Non-compliances may delay the certification process. ISCC offers templates for audit procedures that can also be used for internal audits.
4.2. Certification Audit: Get Audited by Your Certification Body
- Provide all necessary proofs, documents and data as well as access to relevant locations.
- Receive the audit report and a list with corrective measures, if necessary.
- Implement the corrective measures within 40 days (if applicable).
Please note: The certificate can only be issued after the timely implementation of the corrective measures mentioned in the respective list.
4.3. Receive Your Certificate
- CB forwards audit documents including certificate to you and ISCC.
- ISCC reviews the audit documents.
- ISCC publishes the certificate on the ISCC website.
- ISCC informs official bodies, if necessary.
Please note: ISCC system users are obliged to check on the ISCC website whether their suppliers of sustainable material are in the possession of a valid ISCC certificate.
5. Handle Sustainable Material and Use ISCC Logos and Claims
Once the certificate has been issued by your certification body, you are allowed to purchase and sell ISCC certified sustainable material as well as to use the ISCC logo and claims.
5.1. Compliance with ISCC Requirements
The following requirements have to be complied with, amongst others:
- Before buying sustainable material, the certificate holder has to check on the ISCC website whether the supplier is in the possession of a valid certificate.
- For all outgoing material a sustainability declaration has to be issued. The certificate holder has to make sure that the incoming and outgoing delivery documents contain all necessary information according to ISCC requirements. Please see ISCC System Document 203 “Traceability and Chain of Custody” for further information.
- ISCC System Updates with information and updates of the ISCC System have to be considered. The System Updates are sent by ISCC to the contact persons of the companies on a regular basis.
- Please note: Producer or trader of final biofuels who would like to sell final biofuels to the German market have to get registered with Nabisy. For further information please visit the client section of the ISCC website.
5.2. Ready to Promote Your ISCC Certification?
- When using the ISCC logo or ISCC claims, ISCC has to be contacted prior for approval.