The Certification Process in Detail
1. Choose a Certification for your Market
2. Choose a Certification Body
Choose a certification body (CB) and sign a contract with them.
3. Sign up for the ISCC Client Section and ISCC HUB
The registration form is available in the ISCC HUB. To access it, please sign up for the ISCC Client Section here.
Once logged into the ISCC Client Section you will directly be able to access the ISCC HUB.
The ISCC HUB is an online platform for managing the registration- and certification-related data of System Users (= Economic Operators in European Union terminology). Both, System Users and their Certification Bodies have direct access to manage and change System User data in the ISCC HUB. Further details are available here
4. Register with ISCC
Registration for ISCC certification takes place in the ISCC HUB which replaces the previously used registration form on the ISCC website. Once the Applicant has sent the registration, it will be immediately forwarded to the Applicant’s Certification Body who can either approve, reject, or change it. In case the Certification Body changes the registration data, an additional approval of the changes by the Applicant is required before the registration is forwarded to ISCC for a final check. The registration is completed once the registration confirmation including the registration number is sent by ISCC via e-mail.
The full registration process is shown in the following process flow:
- Before filling in the registration form, you need to choose a Certification Body and sign a contract with them.
- The registration must take place prior to the audit. Please note that an audit will not be conducted without having received the registration confirmation via e-mail.
- Overview on ISCC fees for system users, cooperating Certification Bodies and members of the ISCC association (ISCC e.V.).
- Your selected Certification Body and ISCC check each submitted registration and may contact the applicant in case further information is required. The process might take a few days until the registration can be confirmed and the registration number is provided.
- Changes to the registration have to be done by System Users directly in the ISCC HUB. Certification Bodies may trigger such changes which require approval by System Users in the ISCC HUB. In order to reactivate an existing registration, please inform ISCC via e-mail (email@example.com) instead of filling in the registration form.
- In urgent cases (e.g. an audit is imminent and you have not received a registration confirmation email yet), please do not hesitate to contact us by phone (+49 221 50802010) or by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
5. Get Audited by your Certification Body and Receive your ISCC Certificate
5.1 Internal Audit: Prepare the Audit Within Your Company
- Set up an audit team.
- Identify missing information.
- Complement missing information.
- Conduct an internal audit.
Please note: Become familiar with the ISCC requirements to be prepared for the audit. Non-compliances may delay the certification process. ISCC offers templates for audit procedures that can also be used for internal audits.
5.2. Certification Audit: Get Audited by Your Certification Body
- Provide all necessary proofs, documents and data as well as access to relevant locations.
- Receive the audit report and a list with corrective measures, if necessary.
- Implement the corrective measures within 40 days (if applicable).
Please note: The certificate can only be issued after the timely implementation of the corrective measures mentioned in the respective list.
5.3. Receive Your Certificate
The Certification Body forwards audit documents including certificate to you and submits them in the ISCC HUB. Once submitted in the ISCC HUB, the certificate information and respective certificate pdf and Summary Audit Report pdf are published immediately on the ISCC website (link to valid certificate website)
Please note: ISCC System Users are obliged to check on the ISCC website whether their suppliers of sustainable material are in the possession of a valid ISCC certificate.
5. Handle Sustainable Material and Use ISCC Logos and Claims
Once the certificate has been issued by your certification body, you are allowed to purchase and sell ISCC certified sustainable material as well as to use the ISCC logo and claims.
5.1. Compliance with ISCC Requirements
The following requirements have to be complied with, amongst others:
- Before buying sustainable material, the certificate holder has to check on the ISCC website whether the supplier is in the possession of a valid certificate.
- For all outgoing material a sustainability declaration has to be issued. The certificate holder has to make sure that the incoming and outgoing delivery documents contain all necessary information according to ISCC requirements. Please see ISCC System Document 203 “Traceability and Chain of Custody” for further information.
- ISCC System Updates with information and updates of the ISCC System have to be considered. The System Updates are sent by ISCC to the contact persons of the companies on a regular basis.
- Please note: Producer or trader of final biofuels who would like to sell final biofuels to the German market have to get registered with Nabisy. For further information please visit the client section of the ISCC website.
5.2. Ready to Promote Your ISCC Certification?
- When using the ISCC logo or ISCC claims, ISCC has to be contacted prior for approval.