How to become certified
The certification process in detail
Step 1: Market
Understand how ISCC Certification works for businesses operating different commodities for various markets
Step 2: Certification Body
Choose a certification body (CB) and sign a contract with them.
A list with all recognised CB’s is provided on our website.
Step 3: Registration
Register with ISCC and fill in a registration form.
Step 4: Audit
1. Prepare the audit within your company
- Set up an audit team
- Identify missing information
- Complement missing information
- Conduct an internal audit
Become familiar with the ISCC requirements to be prepared for the audit. Non-compliances may delay the certification process.
2. Get audited by your certification body
- Provide all necessary proofs, documents and data as well as access to relevant locations
- Receive the audit report and a list with corrective measures, if necessary
- Implement the corrective measures within 40 days (if applicable)
The certificate can only be issued after the timely implementation of the corrective measures mentioned in the respective list.
3. Receive your certificate
Issuance of certificate
- CB forwards audit documents to ISCC
- ISCC reviews the audit documents
- ISCC publishes the certificate on the ISCC website
- ISCC informs official bodies, if necessary
ISCC system users are obliged to check on the ISCC website whether their suppliers of sustainable material are in the possession of a valid ISCC certificate.
Step 5: Handling sustainable material
Compliance with ISCC requirements
Once the certificate has been issued by your certification body, you are allowed to purchase and sell sustainable material as well as to use the ISCC logo and claims.
The following requirements have to be complied with, among others:
- Before buying sustainable material, the certificate holder has to check on the ISCC website whether the supplier is in the possession of a valid certificate
- For all outgoing material a sustainability declaration has to be issued. The certificate holder has to make sure that the incoming and outgoing delivery documents contain all necessary information according to ISCC requirements. Please see ISCC System Document 203 “Traceability and Chain of Custody” for further information
- ISCC System Updates with information and updates of the ISCC System have to be considered. The System Updates are sent by ISCC to the contact persons of the companies on a regular basis
- Note: Producer or trader of final biofuels who would like to sell final biofuels to the German market have to get registered with Nabisy. For further information please visit the client section of the ISCC website
- When using the ISCC logo or ISCC claims, ISCC has to be contacted prior for approval